Some of our frequently asked questions. Please note that pre-approval is required for funding.
- Why is PPL funding the installation of energy efficiency equipment?
Pennsylvania’s Act 129, enacted in 2008, requires Pennsylvania’s largest electric distribution companies (EDCs) to develop energy efficiency and conservation (EE&C) plans and adopt methods of reducing electric consumption and peak demand. Act 129 provides Pennsylvania businesses, governments and non-profits opportunities to take energy efficiency and conservation to the next level through rebate programs.
- When does the program start and end?
The Business Rebate Program in Phase III of Act 129 starts on June 1, 2016 and is scheduled to continue until May 31, 2021, or until funds run out, whichever happens first.
- Can I get a rebate for equipment that is fueled by natural gas?
There are some instances where equipment fueled by natural gas is eligible for our programs, such as Combined Heat and Power (CHP) systems. Please contact the program team and we will determine eligibility for your specific project.
- If my building is mixed-use, can I still qualify for the rebate?
Yes, program eligibility for mixed-use buildings depends on the meter setup. For instance, if a multi-family building with a first-floor commercial retail space has a commercial meter, then that retail space as well as the building’s common areas would be eligible for program rebates.
- I receive a bill from PPL Electric Utilities but receive my electricity through a different electricity supplier. Would I still qualify for rebates?
- Can I receive a rebate if I received money through other avenues like government grants or utility programs?
We pay up to 50% of the final project cost. The final project cost is the total project cost less the grants. (Customer out-of-pocket cost).
- Will the rebates be paid to the contractor or the PPL customer?
Payment will be made to the participant listed on the application unless a third party payment is authorized. A participant may elect to assign their program rebate to a third party by completing and signing the “Authorization for Rebate Payment to Third Party” section of the program application form.
- Are there tax implications associated with receipt of program rebates?
Consult your tax advisor.
- How can I find out if my equipment meets the eligibility requirements?
Applicants should become familiar with the website, and work with their contractor/design team and reach out to the program team to ascertain whether equipment meets the requirements of the program. Reach out to a program representative at [email protected] to help you answer project specifics too.
- How do I apply for rebates?
To apply for rebates, use our online application portal starting June 1, 2016. Visit our how to apply page for instructions and an application checklist. Alternatively, you can complete a paper rebate application and the corresponding worksheet(s), attach all supplemental forms and mail to 3 Park Plaza, Suite 101, Wyomissing, PA 19610 or email to [email protected].
Effective immediately, all project applications submitted after January 1, 2018 will require pre-approval to reserve funds, if available, for rebates from the PPL Business Energy Efficiency Program. A Pre-approval application should be requested for the project prior to the purchase of materials. Please contact us at 1-866-432-5501 with any questions. Reserving funds ensures the amount reserved will be available upon completion of the project; however, the final rebate amount is not guaranteed until the final project savings are verified.
- What documentation is required with my rebate application?
A complete application includes the following:
- Completed project application form
- Signed and dated W9 provided for all parties receiving rebates
- Copy of recent PPL electric bill at install location
- PA Lighting Form (Appendix C) or non-lighting savings estimate
- Manufacturers' specification sheets for product qualification
- Verified start date documentation from customer
- Where can I find my utility account #?
On your utility bill upper right-hand corner, locate the Bill Acct No. Your account number will have 10 digits.
- Can a single account have multiple applications?
- How do I submit an application if my project is anticipated to take many months or multiple phases to complete?
For large, multi-phase projects, you must submit an application for each energy efficiency upgrade project (i.e., Lighting, HVAC, Specialty Equipment, Drives for Motors and Custom). All rebates are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. The project approval letter defines terms for rebate payment and a commitment expiration date unless an extension is granted by the program manager.
- Under what circumstances do I need to get pre-qualification of equipment?
Submit all product specification sheets prior to construction to ensure product is qualified for program rebate.
- What is the anticipated turnaround time for application pre-qualification?
Project rebate reservation is completed on a first come first serve basis after a completed application package is received by the Business Rebate Program. Applications are acknowledged upon receipt with an email response. If the participant has not received a receipt notification within seven days of submission, contact a program representative at [email protected]. (Typical time takes 2-3 weeks).
- What is the expected time frame for receiving rebate check after the project is completed?
Once a project has been installed and fully commissioned, the final application with supporting documentation is received, and the complete final project has been reviewed and approved, a check will be issued within approximately 5 business days of final project approval or when funding is available.
- How long do I have to install the equipment after rebate reservation?
Projects will be reviewed 180 days from the rebate reservation date. If installation schedules are delayed, rebate reservation extensions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- What if different equipment was submitted after rebate reservation?
Equipment change orders must meet the program requirements. If changes occur after rebate reservation, contact your program representative at [email protected].